This is why I always carry my camera: you never know when you’re going to run into a famous writer.

At ESU’s Union this afternoon, as I visited with my friend Roger, Max McCoy walked by.

In 2001, I met Max at the Tallgrass Writing Workshop. He’s one of the workshop’s greatest success stories. Years ago, he attended Tallgrass as a student. For the past seven or eight (or more?) years, he’s been a regular on the workshop faculty.

Max is a Journalist-in-Residence at Emporia State University. He’s also a big time novelist, having published, I think, 14 books. Yet another book “I, Quantrill” will be out in 2008.

maxmccoy.jpg

“I, Quantrill” is about William Quantrill’s last days. On May 10, 1865, during a raid in Kentucky, Quantrill was shot. That injury paralyzed him from the chest down and he died June 6 of that year. McCoy’s novel is about Quantrill’s last days.

Check out Max’s new blog: Backstory, which has photos from the recent meteorite festival in Haviland. And there are before/after photos of Greensburg. Max has spent time in Kiowa County, doing research on meteorites for his next book.

Learn about his other books at MaxMcCoy.com.

2 Comments

1. I am excited that Max will continue at ESU this fall. He will be faculty sponsor for The Bulletin student newspaper. He has a background on investigative journalism and I would expect more in depth features under his leadership. That will be good experience for the students working for the paper.